28 February 2010

28 Feb 10

I was at home this weekend with the rest of my family. I had been talking alot about my project with one of my sisters. After we had talked in class this week on other possibilities of things we can do I decided this weekend would be an awesome opportunity to teach her how to crochet. She was really excited when I told her I wanted to teach her and could not wait for the weekend to come!

To start I took her out shopping for some yarn for her to make a project and everything else she needed to continue after we both went back to school. We decided on a similar project to mine, a blanket. I think she is going to be a little more ambitious than I was starting out and she is going to make it the size for her to use.

I started her by teaching her just how to create a chain. She picked this up in like 20 minutes. She understood the the idea of the tension a lot faster than I did. So after this I taught her the different stitches she was going to need for the blanket she decided to make and she picked these up just as fast as the normal chain. After this we started on the blanket. She got quite alot done before we had to go back to school, more than I would've imagined she would. She was definitely a quick learner.

It was an interesting experience teaching her this. I think it was alot easier for her to learn this with someone sitting there working on this project with someone. Once she had watched me do the process 2 to 3 times she was able to do it herself almost flawlessly. I thought it was an awesome feeling to teach someone something that I had just learned so recently and for her to pick it up so quickly and maybe be better than I am already is very neat as well. I might even be a little jealous of her.

As for my project I am still working on getting more length to the blanket. I think this process will take about 2-3 more weeks to get it to the length I want. After this I will have to teach myself to do the equivalent to the binding for crochet.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is so awesome that you can bond with your sister and teach her something while accomplishing something for your class at the same time. Does she plan on keeping up with crocheting at all?

    ReplyDelete