24 January 2010

Week 1

I decided that I would crochet for my project this semester. My mom has made me some pot holders this past semester and that looked like something I could accomplish. I thought about knitting and she said that knitting was alot harder to learn and that I should start with crocheting. I went and bought supplies from Michaels this week. I did not really know what to buy so I bought a little starter package that came with some needles and an instruction book. When I opened the book I did not even know what the first step meant. It told you to do start with a slip knot on the needle but did not tell you how to do that. After I tried to do this without success I tried youtube.com. My mom said she had taught herself all the different types of stictches she needed from youtube. Once I did this I was able to get started really easily. The video I found was really awesome and was actually better than looking at the pictures and reading directions from the book. This is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVBnFHGbeK4 I practiced for the first week trying to get the motion on chains and moving on to single crochet to make bigger blocks of crocheting. I had a hard time learning how to hold the needle and yarn and keep the tension right. This next week my mom will be in town and is going to help me really get started and hopefully will be able to start a real project. Here are some pictures of my first attempts, as you can see I am all over the place, my tension is either too tight or too loose. There are pictures of my supplies also.





No comments:

Post a Comment